We are looking forward to welcoming members of LRRL clubs on 27th June to Prestwold for a PROPER RACE !! Entry for the Prestwold 10k will open at 7pm on Sunday May 23rd and will cost £11.
For those who don’t know the race it is a relatively flat 10k, half around the Prestwold racing circuit and half on the quiet country roads around it. Start time will be 10.00am. It will be chip timed, with two water stations on the course. Unless it’s hot, not a bad course for that elusive PB! More details on the Barrow Runners website Barrow Runners - Prestwold 10K - Road Race
We understand that some runners will be nervous about it being the first race after the lifting of COVID restrictions, especially around the race village, the start and the finish. One big advantage is it’s all outdoors (except in the portaloos of course!), and there tends to be a bit of breeze there. Loads of parking, so you don’t have to car share if you don’t want to. In addition we are doing the following:
- The race has been reduced to 600 runners (it’s normally 900) and will be a closed race for members of LRRL clubs only.
- We will have the coffee man and the cold drinks van there, but no fun run or merchandise stalls or massage tents. No mementos at the end.
- A few more portaloos than the matrix requires, with sanitiser etc outside.
- Numbers will be in individual envelopes, but issue will be in bulk to club representatives so that there is no queueing at a registration desk. There is plenty of space for clubs to bring their tents and flags to provide a base for their runners.
- Just in case we have to phase the start due to COVID restrictions we will be asking for a rough estimate of finishing time when people enter. We hope this won’t be necessary, but it will help avoid bunching if we do.
- Water on course will be put out on tables in bottles or cups for collection by runners (it won’t be handed out by volunteers). We will try to make this as smooth as possible, but runners may wish to carry their own drinks to avoid possible congestion.
- The race will be on gun time (with normal prizes), but since most of us are really looking at our chip time we will encourage runners who want to avoid the crowd at the start to hang back for a minute or two to let the rush go. Because this is the time when runners are likely to be close together, we will also offer disposable face masks for runners to wear at the start if they choose. These can be discarded in the first 200m or so for us to collect.
- By delaying the entry date we really hope there will not be a need to cancel. If we do, we will not be refunding any entry fees, but will allow all runners to carry forward their place to 2022 if they want to, or donate their entry fee to the Air Ambulance - the nominated charity of the Prestwold Hall owners.